Monday, December 21, 2009

Download Witch Routes/New Songs/My Influences As Of Late (Busby Berkeley, Kate Bush, Philip Glassect..)






Alright, now that that's out of the way. Here's a new song




Okay so, before I make my big ol best of 2009 list, I figured I'd throw something of an update of my recent influences up. True I could just put up a link to my last.fm (which is already on the side), but this may be a bit more accessible (also to the music itself).

Before I go into my musical influence I'll just throw in a cinematic/dance director whose vision influences (or inspires) me greatly,
Busby Berkeley. He was the coreographer and director for films like 42nd Street & the Gold Diggers series of the 30s. He broke the 'theater view' of dance and viewed human movements in complex geometric shapes. See:






First and foremost, I can't get over my love for Kate Bush. Her stellar record Hounds Of Love has been on repeat of a very long time here. It's totally irresistible and very influential (to me and beyond). Here's the lead-off song "Running Up That Hill (Deal With God)":



And here's "Hounds Of Love" (Title track from her most important record):



As for the band which will be winning my top artist (and album) of 2009, that would go to Britain's Wild Beasts. This song's from their first record. As of now they've released two and they're quite honestly two of the most compulsively listenable and impeccably made albums that I've heard in ages. They're both gorgeous, wide, exciting and flamboyant. Here's "The Devil's Crayon"



In a refreshingly strange way, These New Puritans further helped me reevaluated whatever in the hell is going on in the post-punk revivalist movement. There's something Wire (or the Fall) esq about these guys. Can't put my finger on it. I think that's the point.




And in previous posts I know I've spoken about the following artists (Philip Glass, Patti Smith, Neil Young) so here are some videos:










No comments:

PLEASE NOTE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence. You are free: to Share — to distribute and transmit the work Under the following conditions: Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page. Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder. Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.