Friday, April 17, 2009

Last song from 50, And some good music from Michigan

To start, here's signal movement two from album 50.



Anyway, sometime last year, I was contacted by someone from Michigan who told me they liked my music. Turned out that I was more than honored when I heard the music that he and his friends produced. I normally don't do the whole 'name dropping' thing, but I feel that these guys have a real talent and an incredible potential (they've managed to fill the void that Slowdive left me).


To start, here's Elysian Fields, who sound like an almost sloppier version of Slowdive. I saw sloppy hesitantly as I personally believe it's for the better. The Sound is loose, full, large and ultimately beautiful. There's a naiveté to the tracks which really gives it an honesty that's hard to realize sometimes.




Then, there's Blackbird Smile; a solo project by vocalist/keyboardist Liz Shar. Equally as stunning if not more minimal. I'm personally partial to the totally ambient, piano based tracks, which at their highest, share the same simple beauty as tracks by Arvo Part.



Last, but not least, is Ravezzani; a solo project by member Jeremy (last name isn't coming to me, unless it is Ravezzani), which is the most percussive, punchy, and, for lack of a better term, perhaps poppy of the three. Well mixed with more instruments than the previous two, it startles the ethereal pop of Esylian and a more post-rock sound.




I think it's important to point out that these guys are young (well, younger than me). Having already harnessed this kind of talent, it'll be amazing to see what they produce if they stick together (or keep making music at all).

No comments:

PLEASE NOTE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence. You are free: to Share — to distribute and transmit the work Under the following conditions: Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page. Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder. Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.